Learning is the result of gene-environment interactions
- Genes construct learning systems
- And, genes are responsive to important sensory stimuli
Cross-fostering has different imprinting effects in two related songbirds
Genetic differences can also cause behavioral differences amongst individuals.
- ex. California Garter snake
- Inland populations eat fish and frogs
- Coastal populations eat banana slugs
How would you test for genetic differences in behavior?
- Need to use individuals without experience
A single gene can have effects on behavior
- One gene can be the starting point for a cascade of effects